Sunday, April 30, 2017

Day 2 in China- Great Wall of China April 30st.

Besides getting Emma, this was the day I was most excited about when I thought about China.  My great-grandmother, Tai Tai, was Chinese and I have always been so proud of my Chinese heritage. I couldn't wait to see this historical monument. 

At breakfast Edmund brought a balloon we had blown up in our room, but shortly after he sat down it popped.  He made a sad sound but didn't cry-cry and almost immediately a young Chinese man came over and gave Edmund a beautiful baton type thing.  He smiled and nodded and handed it to him.  Edmund was thrilled to be given something and he said thank you.  We still aren't sure what it is for but we have it and it brings a smile to my face. 

During our time Edmund used a few Chinese phrases: Hello, thank you, goodbye.  And whenever he did the people loved it.  I loved it too. 

The day was sunny and clear and it was nice as we gathered with our group to already have started to get to know them and their families.  I had dressed Edmund in a pair of shorts and as we walked down the stairs I realized they were falling off so we quickly ran back to our room and changed his shorts and got on the bus. 

We drove a while and then we were there!  We could either walk the steeper sections or a not-as-steep (but still steep) section.  We chose the less steep section and began to climb.  Edmund climbed some by himself, some with me carrying him, some with Matthew carrying him.  Every little bit there was a "tower" lookout and Edmund would want to get down and look through the windows and over the edge. I held on tight to his shirt. 

We walked to the top of that section of the wall and there was a little gift shop at the top.  Edmund chose a tiny snow globe of the Great Wall.  He loves that globe.  The pictures and the presence was enough for me. 

We walked back down and our group was bused to the Jade Factory and attached restaurant.  The Jade factory toured us on how jade was important to Chinese culture and how they made the pieces they had there.  It was very fascinating and we bought a few pieces to have for Emma and Edmund. 

Then we were taken to a Chinese resturant that was attached.  We all sat at a round table and shared dishes.  We didn't have a big selection as we are vegetarian but it was enough (but Edmund wasn't happy with what it was so we fed him snacks when we got back.)

Then we bused back and took a nap. (Naps were a daily necessity).

Each day Edmund opened a little gift from Grandpa and Grandma White that they had given us to pack before we went to China. That day we opened a small Lego set and put it together. 

Then we played at the pool again and ate dinner. (Why can't I remember what we ate???)

We bathed and put Edmund to bed.

I did laundry and repacked our bags as the next day we would be traveling to...

Zhengzhou!

Where we would meet Emma!!

No comments:

Post a Comment